Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Thousand Words


 December 5, 2011

This week nothing especially substantial has happened (besides being a missionary and spreading a life changing gospel around the world) so I thought I might make this weeks update a picture update.  I've been taking pictures non-stop this week and I think it would help you guys get an idea of where I'm teaching, contacting, and living.

1) A quaint little house hidden behind a wall of vines and foliage.  When we approached this little house it was my turn to make the contact so I knocked on the little gate and called "Buenas!" to let the residents know we were outside.  No one has doorbells so we have to yell to make people come out.  An old man walked out from a back room without a shirt on and looking mildly surprised at our having found his house.  I waved and, not thinking, said "Hola muchacho!", muchacho meaning kid or child.  As I have mentioned before,  I'm still working on my spanish skills.  Luckily he didn't seem to hear me and I made the contact while my companion held back laughter.  A memorable moment, but then again, every time I speak spanish is a memorable moment.



3)  The infamous street food.  These vendors can be found on every street at night selling hot dogs and Chimes, which are the Dominican version of a hamburger.  The hot dogs are piled high with sauces and cabbage and are always boiled.  The chimes are less meat than sauce.  Every Chime is drenched in sauces and covered in cabbage and peppers which make the actual meat seem insignificant.  While it's not an American burger, it sure has it's own Dominican flair that can't be found in the states.

4) Another Dominican meal that is more commonly found: rice, beans, and chicken.  This particular meal comes from a popular fast food joint found here called Pica Pollo.  Every meal here almost always includes these three main ingredients in some variation.  This one however has guandules, which are pigeon peas, and a salad made of potatoes and carrots. 


5)  While most residents in our area live in apartment buildings or cement houses, these huts can be found in areas that are less populated.  It seems as though the people here will use whatever wood, metal, or miscellaneous material they can find to build their own little shanty.  This is a fairly normal house compared to some of the living quarters we have seen.  Everyone will always hang up their clothes to dry on a sunny day and at the first sight of rain their is a frantic rush to bring all of their clothes back inside.  No matter where you go there is always lush foliage and palm trees weaving around the man made structures.


No comments:

Post a Comment