Thursday, August 8, 2013

Cristo Rey (Christ the King)

 July 23, 2012

One year.  I have had so much time and yet I still feel as though I am running out.  So many people, places, and experiences have come and gone in these few short months that I constantly feel as though I am looking over my shoulder.  Let me try to recap some of my last few weeks.

These last few weeks in Yaguate have been interesting to say the least.  As far as the missionary work goes, not much has changed.  Elder Domine and I worked hard to bring the less-active members back and we were relatively successful in doing so.  While the attendance in church wasn't anything spectacular, I do feel as though the members were beginning to understand their duties and responsibilities in the church.  Yaguate must have known that I was soon to leave though because it took a few last strikes at me before I could get out.  A few weeks into the transfer when I was with Elder Domine the water stopped coming to our house.  We can usually last a week without water if we are careful but this drought lasted for 13 days.  13 days without water really pushed our survival skills, but we learned that we are more tribal than we thought we were.  Let's just say bucket showers turned into half-bucket showers and shaving became an every other day thing.  Then, only a few weeks ago, we passed by a member who was sick and had requested a blessing, which I gave.  A week later I began to break out in what looked like mosquito bites.  Turns out the member had chicken pox.  I have never had chicken pox.  I quite literally took upon myself her infirmities, which resulted in our companionship remaining in the house for 9 days in order to prevent a chicken pox epidemic from wiping out Yaguate.  Eventually we were able to leave but only in time for me to say goodbye to some members and head off to my new area.  Nice try Yaguate.

I am now stationed in Cristo Rey, a city deep in the capital of Santo Domingo.  You might say that I am now in the concrete jungle.  Just to give you an idea, I haven't seen a single dirt road, plantain tree, or machete wielding Haitian in a week.  We also have one of the few houses in the mission with 24 hour light and water.  I am officially a spoiled man.  "Let them eat cake" is a popular phrase heard in our third story loft occupied by four American missionaries.  Papa John's is getting a lot of business to say the least.  As far as the missionary work goes, it goes.  We have more investigators than I have fingers and our ward is pushing 100 in attendance.  We contact, we teach, we walk, we eat food; I feel like a real missionary.  Among our many investigators is a new family who are already Mormon but they just don't know it yet.  As we sat down with them and their 2 children they listened attentively and asked such great questions we were almost laughing.  The husband once asked us if praying had to be an individual thing.  We can hardly even get long time members to pray with their families. This married - ahem MARRIED - couple are both reading and we hope will be praying to receive their own answers. 

The change in living conditions has definitely sent me into another mini-culture shock.  I miss the spontaneity of jungle life, but I am sure the big city has new and wonderful experiences waiting for me as well.  The city is new, but the church is still true.

No comments:

Post a Comment