Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Now Entering: The MTC

July 30, 2011

It's hard to believe that I am finally in the MTC! I hope all of you are doing great and not worrying too much about me.  The last few days have been stressful and often overwhelming, but also very spiritually uplifting and fulfilling.  It was difficult to say goodbye, but I know that this is where I am supposed to be and that you will all be blessed because I am here.

I'm going to spare you all the 7 page essay and instead give you some of the highlights.  A lot has happened in such a short amount of time.  Once you dropped me off my host showed me to a bunch of rooms where they checked all of my documents, gave me a huge packet, and then showed me to my room which is on the top floor of the furthest building on campus.  At least I will get some extra exercise out of the deal.  I am rooming with two other elders who have been here for five weeks now and are very helpful when I have no idea what I am doing.  I sleep on the top bunk which means every movement wakes up the Elder beneath me, but at least I have a great view of the ceiling. 
I met my companion, Elder Maner, for the first time when we went to our first spanish class.  He is rather quiet and seems nervous, but over the last few days he has opened up a bit.  He comes from a little town called Heber in Arizona and he just graduated from high school a couple of months ago.  A good testimony, a great spirit, and although he doesn't like Lord of the Rings, I think we will make great companions (and yes mom, we took a picture together.)


We then worked our way through the maze of buildings to an orientation meeting with the MTC Presidency.  It was very welcoming and spiritual and near the end there they had a musical number planned which had a nice little surprise. 


We played basketball for gym on Thursday where I got to finally show off my dunking skills and then we had a whole lot of spanish class to go to.  We learned a ton in just one day and I could definitely sense my high school knowledge coming back.  We met our branch presidency that night too and they were very kind and loving.  

We taught our first "investigator" Isabel on Friday.  It was kind of a crash and burn lesson since I can barely put a sentence together.  It was a little discouraging because we didn't really get to say much and it was hard to feel the spirit.  At least now we know what we need to work on.

That about summarizes my time here so far.  It is definitely difficult to get adjusted, but it is also a wonderful experience.  One Elder told me he has good hours and bad hours, which is true.  I keep reminding myself that it is worth waking up every morning just to experience those good hours when you know this is where you are supposed to be and when you feel the spirit so strong.  

No comments:

Post a Comment