July 30, 2011
It's hard to believe that I am finally in the MTC! I hope all of
you are doing great and not worrying too much about me. The last few
days have been stressful and often overwhelming, but also very
spiritually uplifting and fulfilling. It was difficult
to say goodbye, but I know that this is where I am supposed to be and
that you will all be blessed because I am here.
I'm going to spare you all the 7 page essay and instead give you
some of the highlights. A lot has happened in such a short amount of
time. Once you dropped me off my host showed me to a bunch of rooms where
they checked all of my documents, gave me a huge packet, and then
showed me to my room which is on the top floor of the furthest building
on campus. At least I will get some extra exercise out of the deal. I
am rooming with two other elders who have been here for five weeks now and are
very helpful when I have no idea what I am doing. I sleep on the top
bunk which means every movement wakes up the Elder beneath me, but at
least I have a great view of the ceiling.
I met my companion, Elder Maner, for the first time when we went to
our first spanish class. He is rather quiet and seems nervous, but
over the last few days he has opened up a bit. He comes from a little town called
Heber in Arizona and he just graduated from high school a couple of
months ago. A good testimony, a great spirit, and although he
doesn't like Lord of the Rings, I think we will make great companions
(and yes mom, we took a picture together.)
We then worked our way through the maze of buildings to an
orientation meeting with the MTC Presidency. It was very welcoming and
spiritual and near the end there they had a musical number planned which
had a nice little surprise.
We played basketball for gym on Thursday
where I got to finally show off my dunking skills and then we had a whole
lot of spanish class to go to. We learned a ton in just one day and I
could definitely sense my high school knowledge coming back. We met our branch presidency that
night too and they were very kind and loving.
We taught our first "investigator" Isabel on Friday.
It was kind of a crash and burn lesson since I can barely put a sentence together. It was a little
discouraging because we didn't
really get to say much and it was hard to feel the spirit. At least
now we know what we need to work on.
That about summarizes my time here so far. It is definitely difficult to get
adjusted, but it is also a wonderful experience. One Elder told me he
has good hours and bad hours, which is true. I keep reminding myself
that it is worth waking up every morning just to experience those good
hours when you know this is where you are supposed to be and when you feel
the spirit so strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment